Hemp Oil Vs Olive Oil
For most home cooks, olive oil is to the kitchen cupboard what a Sunday paper is to the weekend. And for good reason – a number of studies have found that olive oil can help fight heart disease and lower blood pressure. However, here at Good Hemp we’re convinced that everything olive oil can do, hemp oil can do better.
Hemp oil can be used in exactly the same way as olive oil for many of your favourite recipes – over salads, in stir-fries and to make the perfect roast potatoes (both oils have a smoke point of around 180C and shouldn’t be used for deep-frying). So where do they differ? Hemp oil has 25 x more omega-3 oils and 40 % less saturated fats than olive oil. Here we’ve broken it down:
Good Hemp Oil
- Hemp oil is often considered one of the world’s healthiest oils.
It is naturally rich in omega-3 (including omega-3 SDA, which is a more potent form of the fatty acid.
- It has one of the lowest amounts of saturated fat and the highest contents of polyunsaturated fat amongst all the culinary oils.
- It contains omega-6 GLA (usually found in Evening Primrose oil) which promotes healthy growth of skin, hair and nails.
- It contains an ideal ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 (a balance of omegas is important to maintain optimum health; an imbalance can lead to diseases including diabetes).
- Olive oil has 40% more saturated fat than olive oil.
- Olive oil contains hardly any Omega 3 (in fact hemp oil has 25x more Omega 3 than olive oil)
Hemp Oil vs Olive Oil
|Nutritional value per 100g||Good Hemp oil||Olive oil|
|Omega-6 / Omega-3 ratio (ideal between 2:1 – 4:1)||3:1||10.7:1|