Fermented Idl Pancakes
This fermented batter can become many things and evolved in flavour and texture over the days that you ferment it. It pairs amazingly with so many things but here is our ultimate summer lunch with the batter made into crispy pancakes loaded with the tastiest zingiest beans.
- Serves 4
- Soak/Ferment time 24 hours
- Prep time 30 minutes
- Fermented batter
- 100g basmati rice
- 100g red lentils
- Green beans
- 200g green beans, washed, topped and tailed
- 4 spring onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Good Hemp oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- Lemon, miso tahini sauce
- 100g tahini
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 1 tbsp brown miso
- 100ml olive oil
- To serve
- 4 tbsp Good Hemp Original Oil
- 30g Good Hemp Protein
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked salt
- Seasonal leaves
- Soak the rice and lentils in two separate bowls covered in filtered water, leave over night.
- The next day drain both the rice and lentils and wash thoroughly, then add to a high powered blender and blend with 75-125ml filtered water.
- Pour the smooth batter into a large clean jar and cover with a cloth fastened with an elastic band. Leave to ferment for a further 12 hours. It is ready to use when the mature starts to aerate and you can see bubbles forming.
- The temperature of your surroundings will affect the time of this process, make sure the mixture doesn’t get too hot as it may spill out of the jar and if its too cold the process will take a lot longer.
- Start the next steps when the better is ready.
Heat a frying pan with the oil and add the beans and onions with a pinch of salt, cook for 3-4 minutes adding a splash of water at the end to make sure the beans are cooked al dente.
Whisk all of the ingredients together and set aside.
- Season the batter with the spices and add the protein powder.
- Heat a frying pan with the oil and ladle the mixture into pancakes, cooking them 1 by one or two by two depending on how big your pan is.
- Flip the pancakes when the bottom side is cooked and make sure they are cooked through and crispy on both sides.
- When the pancakes are cooked put them onto the plates add a few tbsp of sauce, then the beans, more sauce and sprinkle with hemp seeds, lemon zest and leaves.